Contact and accessibility
As a non-EU/EFTA student, can I interrupt my studies in Delft temporarily?
As a NON-EU/EFTA student you may interrupt your studies and return to Delft later on. However, you should be aware of the consequences.
If and when you un-enrol from the university, the following rules apply:
- TU Delft will report to the IND that you are no longer a student and you are obliged to leave the country as soon as possible.
- You no longer entitled to any kind of study facilities or academic guidance from TU Delft.*
- Your (student) health insurance will no longer be valid.
- If you are renting accommodation arranged through TU Delft you have a ‘one month notice’ concerning your housing contract which means that you will have to pay one month extra rent.
- If applicable restitution of the tuition fee will be made for the calendar months commencing with the first month that follows the month in which you request for un-enrolment. Calculated from the moment of termination of the enrolment, 1/12th of the tuition or examination fees will be restituted for each remaining month. The months of July and August are included in this calculation.
If you decide to cancel/interrupt your studies, you will need to take the following steps before leaving:
- make an appointment with the academic student counsellor at your faculty to discuss whether an interruption would cause any extra delays in your studies.
- Un-enrol yourself through your Studielink account (www.studielink.nl).
If you would wish to return to TU Delft, please note the following:
- In order to arrange a (new) visa you need to pay tuition fee and living expenses to TU Delft.
- you can resume your studies at TU Delft at the beginning of the first semester (first week of September). Resuming your studies per 1 February is sometimes possible; the faculty should agree on this.
- upon returning to TU Delft, students who have interrupted their studies are no longer entitled to accommodation arranged through TU Delft.
* Please note that a penalty system is in place for former students who continue to use any kind of TU Delft facilities or academic guidance after having un-enrolled.